Friday, January 8, 2010

Sketch #1

"Irish Blessing"
Graphite on Hot Pressed Watercolor Paper

I haven't posted in a very long time so I am going to make up for it. I've got a couple projects underway plus some alphabet sketches that I'm looking forward to finishing. I promise this week will be an every day thing! This is the kick off to my 7 days of 7 sketches!

This is a sketch for an interior illustration for one of my magazine clients. It's based on an Irish Blessing about rain. As an art student I always wanted to illustrate poems but now I find it very challenging. There usually is very little amount of imagery to work with and it's tough to open up new and exciting possibilities and still remain true to the publication. I used a wordier poem called "I Died for Beauty" by Emily Dickinson to set a mood in my mind. It also happens to be one of the only poems I know by heart so it is something I have always wanted to play off of.

The final will be in black and white for the publication although I'm hoping to take it to color for myself. I'm looking forward to getting that misty atmosphere, mossy stone and old wrought iron. I'm still batting around a color theme....green or blue...warm or cool. Oh the decisions!

No comments: