Monday, January 11, 2010

Sketch #4

Pencil in Sketchbook

Reference and Studies. That is the basis of everything illustrative. This is a little fun study I drew of an Art Nouveau pattern I found. Jotting little thumbnails of decorative studies is something I should do more often. It opens my mind to new ways of linear involvement and compositions in vignette forms. You'll notice the noise in the background of the sketch...this was done on the back sheet of one of my sketchbook pages. Because it's a study I'm not really concerned about the presentation. I have sketched on lined paper, bills and sometimes even napkins. Sometimes a simple doodle can turn into a great idea. Just make sure to redraw it onto something more presentable before proposing it to a client or instructor!

No comments: